Raksha Bandhan goes back to Mahabharata when Lord Krishna had cut his finger, which then started bleeding and seeing this, Draupadi immediately tore a piece of cloth from her saree and fastened it to Lord Krishna’s finger to stop the bleeding. The piece of cloth then evolved into a sacred thread. Believing the cloth she tied a holy thread, Krishna promised he would protect her from all evils throughout his life.
A sister tying rakhi on her brother’s wrist and, in turn, brother promising to protect her is what Rakshabandhan is all about.
As a person who has bought up watching Bollywood movies, it’s evident how Indian cinema has influenced our minds and belief system.
It will be a lie to assume that Bollywood movies do not influence us.
Having said all that, let’s take a moment to remember some classic songs that celebrate this beautiful bond between brother and sister,
1. Ab Ke Baras Bhejo: By Asha Bhosle – Bandini (1963)
2. Abhi Mujh Mein Kahin -Agnipath – 2012
3. Bhaiya More Rakhi Ke Bandhan Ko Nibhana – Chhoti Bahen -1959
4. Phoolan Ka Taron Ka – Haré Rama Haré Krishna -1971
5. Behna O Behna | Adalat (1977)